Self Employment Ideas & Opportunities for Starters
The idea of self employment is on the rise; more and more people are considering self employment over a traditional job and they have valid reasons. Self employment allows you to determine the type of work you want to do, set your own hours, and earn your income with freedom of choice.
If you are someone looking to become self employed, some of the following questions must have struck your mind:
- What are the best self-employed jobs?
- What are the highest paying self-employed jobs?
- What are the most successful self employment ideas?
- What self-employed business can I do?
- What self employed jobs can I do from home?
- How can I make money being self employed?
- Do self-employed people make more money?
- Is self-employment a good idea?
- Is it worth becoming self-employed?
Well, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), there will be about 10.3 million self employed individuals in the US by 2026 with an estimated growth rate of about 7.9 percent growth rate which is slightly faster than the 7.4 percent growth rate projected for all workers. So yes, self employment is surely a worthwhile idea, and there are self employment opportunities in almost all fields.
Some self-employed people do make millions, and more and more self employment opportunities are being created as a result of technological progress and the changing business landscape.
Planning to become self employed can be exciting, however, knowing exactly what business idea to pursue and affordability to bear the startup costs can be tricky. Fortunately, there are literally hundreds of self employment ideas and opportunities for those looking to have multiple income streams.
This article will discuss the big list of self employment ideas. Whether you are looking to start a part time gig or a full time business, you can identify and shortlist the most profitable self employment ideas worth pursuing.
Let’s get started:
1- Online Self Employment Ideas
If you are looking for home based or remote self employment ideas and opportunities, starting an online business can be a great idea, as it can save you a lot of setup costs as well as overhead costs. There can be literally hundreds of business models in the online industry, however, here are a few that are easy to start and grow.
- Become a blogger/vlogger
- Start your own podcast
- Become a niche specific social media influencer
- Become an affiliate marketer
- Become a virtual assistant
- Become a freelance writer
- Offer proofreading and editing service
- Become a freelance graphic designer
- Become a freelance software developer
- Become a freelance marketer
- Write an ebook
- Create and sell an online course
- Resell goods on Amazon
- Start your own Etsy shop
- Sell on eBay
2- Self Employment Ideas for Consultants
If you are an expert in your particular field and looking to start a part-time venture that you can gradually grow into a full-time business gradually, selling consultancy services is a great idea. And, there can be hundreds of consulting business ideas for those looking to become self employed. Here are a few ideas for your inspiration.
- Become a creative consultant (best option for artists and creative professionals)
- Become a career or life coach
- Become a public or motivational speaker
- Become an Interior designer or decorator
- Become a financial consultant
- Become a recruitment consultant
- Become a startup growth consultant
3- Creative Self Employment Ideas
If you are more into creative arts and crafts, you must explore the opportunities to sell your talent. For instance:
- Start a home based baking business
- Become an event planner
- Start a photography and videography business
- Make and sell arts and crafts
- Start your travel agency or exotic holidays business
- Become a personal fitness trainer
- Become wedding planner
- Become a DJ for parties and events
- Work as a freelance hairstylist
- Becoming a freelance makeup artist
- Make and sell jewelry
- Become a seamstress or tailor
- Offer dance lessons
- Offer music lessons
- Teach music instruments
- Become a sports coach/personal trainer
- Become a freelance yoga instructor
- Be an in-home massage therapist
4- Education Related Self Employment Ideas
If you are working in the field of education and planning to have another income stream along with your current job or a start and run a full-time business, there are tens of education-related ideas that can work great. Here are some examples.
- Become a tutor
- Teach English or another language online
- Offer SAT/ACT prep service
- Create a subject specific online portal
- Buy and sell used books
- Buy and sell other learning materials
- Become an educational recruiter
- Start a vocational training center
5- Self Employment Ideas in Sharing Economy
Sharing economy is creating opportunities for the community on a tighter budget and this is a larger population. There are numerous opportunities, and here are some ideas.
- Start a delivery service
- Start a pick and drop service
- Work as a dog walker/pet sitter
- Become an Airbnb or VRBO host
- Drive for Uber or Lyft
- Start a rent a car business
6- Commercialized Ideas for Self Employment
These are the business ideas that you can start small as a self employed and grow into big businesses at a later stage. There can be just anything in this category and here are few ideas to get started.
- Start a clothing line
- Start a laundromat
- Start a food truck or a small restaurant
- Start a cleaning company
- Start a landscaping company
- Start a coffee shop
- Start a moving company
- Start a daycare or elderly care service
- Start a computers or phones repair shop
7- Self Employment Ideas in Real Estate
Getting involved in real estate is a great idea for those who either have enough to invest in real estate or have parallel time to build an empire through hard work. Here are some really good real estate business ideas for your inspiration.
- Become a real estate agent
- Purchase and flip houses
- Invest in real estate
- Become a property manager
- Start a home staging service
The Bottom Line
These self employment ideas are just for your inspiration; finding the right business idea and starting a profitable venture depends on your particular interests and aptitude, your skillset, goals, and budget.